Learn about the California Assembly Bill 506 which took effect January 1, 2022.
- Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must also take Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.
- New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training prior to completing the registration process.
- Units cannot recharter unless all unit leaders have completed the new YPT since February 1, 2018.
- Program participants 18 years or older. Adult program participants (Venturing, Order of the Arrow, Exploring) must complete adult Youth Protection Training before submitting their adult application.
Who is ENCOURAGED to take Youth Protection Training?
Parents and guardians are strongly encouraged to take the training.
Who is EXEMPT from taking Youth Protection Training?
The only position exceptions to taking Youth Protection Training are:
- Institutional Heads/Executive Officers
- The training is closed captioned for those who would find it helpful.
- Spanish version available
- Facilitator-led training available. (Note: although the online training is the preferred method to take this important training, in-person instruction-led training is available. Contact your District Executive to learn more about setting up a class.)
- You must have a my.Scouting.org account to take the training, but BSA registration is not required. Not sure if you have a BSA Member ID number or my.scouting account? Contact our Council Registrar at email@example.com to find out.
- Printing the Training Completion Certificate
The training certificate will only be available for printing after completing the three required training modules and passing the test which completes the Youth Protection Training. It is available on my.Scouting.org on the Dashboard by clicking the print icon.
Guidelines for Youth Protection Training
To confirm, take, or retake Youth Protection Training:
- Go to BSA’s website portal at My.Scouting.org and sign-in with your same ID and Password, or click “Create Account” if you are new to Scouting. Note: If you already have an account on MyScouting.org (no dot between My and Scouting), use those logins.
- Once logged in, click on the “Youth Protection Begins With You” graphic on the right side of the screen.
- View your YPT training history and expiration date, where you may select to take the course online.
Having problems with accessing YPT training or accuracy of your training records?
- Contact our Council Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Pacific Skyline Council policy:
- All registered adults must take Youth Protection Training (“YPT”), and then remain current by repeating YPT within 24-months, to participate in Scouting.
- New adult leaders and volunteers should be YPT-trained before any contact with Scouts begins.
- Special Requirements for Unit Rechartering:
– All registered adults must be current in YPT through the end of this year’s rechartering period to be eligible for re-registration.
– Youth Protection Training is current for 2 years from the date of completion.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about BSA’s Youth Protection programs and supporting our priority of youth safety in Scouting.