Who is REQUIRED to take Youth Protection Training?
- Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must also take Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.
- New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training prior to completing the registration process.
- Units cannot re-charter unless all unit leaders have completed the new YPT since February 1, 2018.
- Program participants 18 years or older. Adult program participants (Venturing, Order of the Arrow, Exploring) must complete adult Youth Protection Training before submitting their adult application.
Who is ENCOURAGED to take Youth Protection Training?
Parents and guardians are strongly encouraged to take the training.
Who is EXEMPT from taking Youth Protection Training?
The only position exceptions to taking Youth Protection Training are:
- institutional heads and
- adult partners in Tiger and Lion programs.
- The training is closed captioned for those who would find it helpful.
- Spanish version available
- Facilitator-led training available. (Note: although the on-line training is the preferred method to take this important training, in-person instruction-led training is available. Contact Steve Smith, staff advisor over Training, to set up a class.)
- You must have a my.Scouting.org account to take the training, but BSA registration is not required.
- Printing the Training Completion Certificate
The training certificate will only be available for printing after completing the three required training modules and passing the test which completes the Youth Protection Training. It is available on my.Scouting.org on the Dashboard by clicking the print icon.
Guidelines for Youth Protection Training
To confirm, take, or retake Youth Protection Training:
- Go to BSA’s website portal at My.Scouting.orgExternal Link (note the “dot” between “My” and “Scouting”) and sign-in with your same ID and Password used on the legacy MyScouting.org website, or click “Create Account” if you are new to Scouting or do not have an existing MyScouting.org account.
- Once logged in, click on the “Youth Protection Begins With You” graphic on the right side of the screen, or click on “Home”, then “My Dashboard”, and then on the “YPT” tab (if not displayed by default).
- View your YPT training history and expiration date, where you may select to take the course online.
Having problems with accessing YPT training or accuracy of your training records?
- Confirm that your existing user profile on the legacy website MyScouting.org (under the “My Profile tab”) is linked to your official BSA Member ID # Number and Council affiliation (“Pacific Skyline Council – Foster City,CA – #031”), both found at the bottom of the user profile under “Membership Info”. This should be marked as your “Primary” affiliation. Update if necessary.
- If still experiencing problems, please send us a note at YouthProtection@pacsky.org describing your questions and we will assist you. We do see issues with data errors in BSA’s or the Council’s records, which we can likely help you resolve.
Official Pacific Skyline Council policy:
- All registered adults must take Youth Protection Training (“YPT”), and then remain current by repeating YPT within 24-months, to participate in Scouting.
- New adult leaders and volunteers should be YPT-trained before any contact with Scouts begins.
- Special Requirements for Unit Re-Chartering:
– All registered adults must be current in YPT through the end of this year’s re-chartering period to be eligible for re-registration.
– Youth Protection Training is current for 2 years from the date of completion.