Training Skills for New & Experienced Trainers
Saturday, August 22, 2020
Palo Alto Scout Service Center
Do you train Leaders? Parents? Scouts? Are you someone who has thought about training but you don’t know where to begin? Or maybe you have years of experience in training but want to add some pizzazz to it?
The Fundamentals of Training/Trainer’s EDGE is for anyone interested in different training methods. It will equip you with ideas, techniques, and materials for improving presentations by enabling you to select approaches that will communicate your messages most successfully, and with PIZZAZZ!!
In Fundamentals of Training, participants learn the tools of good training including characteristics of good trainers, how people learn and training methods. The Trainer’s EDGE emphasizes the importance of “experiential learning,” or learning by doing, as well as numerous other contemporary training strategies. These strategies can then be applied to a wide range of training programs.
What does EDGE mean?
Explain how it is done – Tell them
Demonstrate the steps – Show them
Guide learners as they practice – Watch them do it
Enable them to succeed on their own – Use memory aids, practice it, they teach it
Who Should Come?
Anyone interested in improving their presentation skills should attend! This course is required for all trainers who train on the District and Council levels (including Wood Badge and NYLT staff). Unit leaders, Commissioners, and anyone else who would like to learn to communicate ideas better are encouraged to attend. This all-day course is taught by Scouters who have years of training experience in the Pacific Skyline Council.
You Will Learn How To
- Train adults and youth
- Reduce stress and headaches
- Increase your self confidence
- Make sure students are learning
- How to improve training
- Use presentation skills that get results
- Become more successful in your career
- Build your ability to motivate and persuade
- What’s important about communications
- How to get that EDGE in what you teach
Who Should Attend
- Required for Wood Badge and NYLT trainers
- Anyone who wants to communicate ideas better or become a trainer
- Commissioners — Unit, District, Assistant District, and Roundtable
- District Trainers for Cub Scouting, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Exploring
- Pack Trainers (every pack should have one) — This will help get your leaders trained!
- Council Trainers for Wood Badge, NYLT, HAT, First Aid , University of Scouting/Pow Wow.
- Youth trainers for Venturing Roundtable, OA, Exploring & camp staff.
Must be 16 to attend.