Shooting Sports FAQ

<– Go back to main Shooting Sports page


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I set up a range on private property? Are commercial ranges okay?

A: UNIT activities need Shooting Sports Committee approval if not at an approved range as described below.

The committee has approved commercial ranges, and rod & gun clubs as approved venues as they are approved and permitted ranges, have range personnel, etc. Coyote Point has been approved for Council Cub Scout day camps. All the other Cub Scout day camps are on approved ranges. Please contact the Council Shooting Sports Chairman for further assistance and clarification.

Q: Are there any Shooting Sports FAQs by National BSA?

A: Yes, click hereExternal Link. (Goes to BSA’s National website)

Q: When and where does the Shooting Sports Committee meet?

A: The Pacific Skyline Council Shooting Sports Committee meets the second Monday of the month except July and August. We meet at 7:30pm at the Pacific Skyline Service Center, 1150 Chess Drive, Foster City, CA 94404.

Q: Are there any prerequisites to take one of the courses?

A: Minimum 1 year shooting experience in the discipline being taken (except BSA and archery courses), and pass a pre-qualification written and shooting exam.

Q: Are there any age requirements to take one of the instructor courses?

A: Age 21 or older for NRA Instructor and RSO Courses, 18-21 for assistant instructor. 18 or older for NAA Archery Course. 18 or older for BSA Cub Rangemaster Courses.

BSA Shooting Sports Manual
Guide to Safe Scouting
Shooting Sports Allowed by Age for a list of which shooting sports are allowed at each level of Scouting.