Looking to grow your pack? Here are some helps!
“Before we can put Scouting’s values into youth, we have to put youth into Scouting.”
The purpose of a Recruitment Night is to enroll new Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts in existing Cub Scout Packs, to enlist parent participation in the program, and to organize new units for youth who want to join.
- To increase the number of youth served by the Boy Scouts of America.
- To showcase the Cub Scout program. Show that Cub Scouting is fun!
- To provide parents with information about their role in Cub Scouting, including advancement, Pack participation, and support.
- To recruit new leaders. Assist the Pack and chartered organization in the selection and enrollment of new adult leaders.
2021 Membership Calendar Key Dates
- May 1 – Schedule one Spring or two Fall Recruitment Nights and turn in Pack Recruitment Plan
- May 1 – Update BeAScout.org pin
- 2 weeks before event – Recruitment Night promotion begins (yard signs, fliers, B2S nights, uniform days, etc.)
- May 29 – Host your pack Recruitment Night
- After Recruitment Night – Recruitment applications due
- May 31 – Turn in an updated pack roster to your district executive or district commissioner
- Organize new dens with 6-8 Scouts, to allow room for future growth. Grow existing dens.
- Encourage new youth to bring friends.
- We strongly recommend using Bring a Buddy cards. These cards help your Cub Scouts invite friends to your pack. Full details are in the Cub Scout Pack Recruitment Guide (below) under “STEP THREE: the Cub Pack Recruitment Plan.”
- All adult leaders must be approved by the chartered organization.
- Training is vital for new leaders. Direct all new leaders to my.scouting.org or in-person training.
- Host Spring Recruitment Nights in May.
- Host your first Fall Recruitment Night preferably within the first 2 weeks of school and no later than 4 weeks.
- We recommend offering both in-person and drive-thru options for Recruitment Nights.
- Never hold the first Fall Recruitment Night in combination with a pack meeting or school-sponsored back-to-school program/open house.
- Essential pack leaders (cubmaster, committee chairperson, den leadership, and chartered organization representative) should be in place before the recruitment night is held.
- Utilize geofencing and other social media to promote your recruitment nights. For very little cash, your pack can easily communicate with families in the neighborhood.
Order FREE Promotional Materials online here.
- Why do a Spring Recruitment? flyer pdf
- 2021 Cub Scout Pack Recruitment Guide pdf (rev. 5/7/21)
- Cub Pack Recruitment Plan (rev. 5/4/21)
- Unit Guidebook for Online Registration
- Learn how to Geofence your unit’s recruitment night.
- Recruitment Promotional Materials Order Form (online form), fillable PDF version (rev. 5/11/21)
- 100-Point Adult Participation Form fillable pdf
- New Family Welcome page This page has all the Welcome Packet contents for new families.