Looking to grow and reinvigorate your pack? Here are some helps!
“Before we can put Scouting’s values into youth, we have to put youth into Scouting.”
2022 Recruitment Night Trainings
Recruiting New Cub Scouts
The purpose of a Recruitment Night is to enroll new Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts in existing Cub Scout Packs, to enlist parent participation in the program, and to organize new units for youth who want to join.
- To increase the number of youth served by the Boy Scouts of America in your Cub Scout pack.
- To showcase the Cub Scout program. Show that Cub Scouting is fun!
- To provide parents with information about their role in Cub Scouting, including advancement, Pack participation, and support.
- To recruit new leaders. Assist the Pack and chartered organization in the selection and enrollment of new adult leaders.
2022 Fall Membership Calendar Key Dates
- Aug 15 – Schedule two Fall Recruitment Nights and turn in Pack Recruitment Plan to your District Executive
- Aug 15 – Update BeAScout.org pin. Here’s a how-to PDF (updated 5/20/20)
- 1st Day of School – Recruitment Night promotion begins (yard signs, fliers, B2S nights, uniform days, etc.)
- By 2nd week of school – Host your pack Recruitment Night
- By Oct 31 – Host your second pack Recruitment Night
- After Recruitment Night – Recruitment applications due
- By Nov 10 – Turn in an updated pack roster to your district executive or district commissioner
- Organize new dens with 6-8 Scouts, to allow room for future growth. Grow existing dens.
- Encourage new youth to bring friends.
- We strongly recommend using Bring a Buddy cards. These cards help your Cub Scouts invite friends to your pack. Full details are in the Cub Scout Pack Recruitment Guide (below) under “STEP THREE: the Cub Pack Recruitment Plan.”
- All adult leaders must be approved by the chartered organization.
- Training is vital for new leaders. Direct all new leaders to my.scouting.org or in-person training.
- Host your first Fall Recruitment Night preferably within the first 2 weeks of school and no later than 4 weeks.
- We recommend offering both in-person and drive-thru options for Recruitment Nights.
- Never hold the first Fall Recruitment Night in combination with a pack meeting or school-sponsored back-to-school program/open house.
- Essential pack leaders (cubmaster, committee chairperson, den leadership, and chartered organization representative) should be in place before the recruitment night is held.
- Utilize geofencing and other social media to promote your recruitment nights. For very little cash, your pack can easily communicate with families in the neighborhood.
Turn On Your Pack’s Ability to Accept Online Applications and Update Your Pack’s BeAScout.org Pin
It’s more important than ever that your pack update their pin at the BeAScout.org site (which lets a parent locate your pack), and set up the process to accept online applications! This functionality is easily turned on by a member of your pack’s Key 3 at my.scouting.org by clicking on the Organization Manager. COR’s can also designate a registered member of the pack as an alternate to approve adult applications if desired. The online system will collect all national and council fees. This means you will not have to bring any paperwork or fees to the office. We encourage every pack to use this functionality for new members to join! Full details at https://www.scouting.org/resources/online-registration/
Helpful documents and videos – 2022 Updates Coming Soon!
- 2021 Cub Scout Pack Recruitment Guide pdf (rev. 6/17/21)
- Cub Pack Recruitment Plan (rev. 8/10/21)
- Unit Guidebook for Online Registration (rev. 4/21)
- Order Recruitment Promotional Materials here (online form), fillable PDF version (rev. 5/11/21). Please order TWO WEEKS before materials are needed.
- Recruitment Night Sign-in sheet
- 100-Point Adult Participation Form fillable PDF. Parents can choose what they’d like to volunteer for, with the goal of a total of 100 points.
- Learn how to Geofence your unit’s recruitment night.
- 2021 Welcome to Scouting flyer Give this flyer to every family as they enter your join night. It will direct them to the New Family Welcome page in the bullet below.
- New Family Welcome page This page has all the Welcome Packet contents for new families.
- Online Join Night Presentation (PowerPoint). This presentation gives you all the needed info for your online recruitment event. Customize it for your pack!